Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Fourth of July! And, Advanced Applique Technique




Patriotic Lopsided Log Cabin in progress
Happy Fourth of July to all my US readers!  Every Fourth I celebrate Independence Day with a backyard cookout and by working on a patriotic UFO.  Last year I finished cutting and attaching the sash to the centers for a Lopsided Log Cabin quilt.  In previous years I cut all the strips for the Log Cabin "walls".  This year I hope to get at least a few blocks put together.  It's a fun, scrappy, project that I really enjoy pulling out once a year.


My Dragonfly from Buzzin' Around design by Mary Sorensen
The last few weeks I have been taking a break from my Cottage Garden applique blocks to work on a wall hanging I started in a class with Mary Sorenson. The project/class is called Buzzin' Around; Advanced Hand Appliqué Techniques.  The project is adorable and includes a dragonfly and a bumblebee.  As I began to stitch I decided to grab my camera and record how I stitch the wings using polyester organza fabric to give a light and airy effect.


Like 99.9% of everything I applique, I accomplished this using Template Free preparation techniques, popularly called Back Basting.  Click HERE for a refresher on this technique.
Mark the pattern on the reverse side of the background fabric.












First, baste the White on White fabric.









Baste just inside the drawn line.










Trim as close as possible to the basting line.












Baste the Organza layer next.  This time, baste on the stitching line.











Trim Organza leaving a generous seam allowance.










Clip both sets of basting threads.  Begin needle turning and stitching as usual.
Be sure to sweep the Organza UNDER the White on White fabric.









The Dragonfly wings stitched in the same manner.


Once the wings are finished, stitch the remaining pieces as usual.
Don't forget to add a little embroidery for extra pizazz!








Until next time...

Best stitches,
Mercy in Miami



2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I like the effect of the shimmery wings! I will have to remember this when I need the effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It was a lot of fun to do too! I just finished all the applique and embroidery on the piece so I will try to post as soon as I get the borders on.
      Best stitches,
      Mercy in rainy Miami

      Delete