Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tulip Block and More Machine Embroidery!

Hi everyone!  I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!  Miami is especially hot and humid this year.  The mosquitoes are abundant and bold.  Perfect weather to stay inside and stitch.  Here is my latest block from Jeana Kimball's A Cottage Garden project.  This has been a wonderful project to work on.  Every time I pick it up, the sweet little blocks put a smile on my face.
Tulip Block
As promised, below are more photos from my cousin's treadle machine embroidery album.  Please click HERE to refer to my previous post for background information on the samples.






Until next time...

Best stitches!
Mercy in hot, humid Miami


6 comments:

  1. Sweet, charming block, Mercy. I can see why they make you smile. Wonderful samples of machine embroidery. Have you tried to duplicate any. Wonder what the process is. Good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nudge!
    Thanks! No I have not tried to recreate these designs; at least not yet! The only details I have on the process is that the design is lighly marked on Irish linen using a regular pencil. The linen is then hooped. A line or initial stitching to contain the design so that threads can be cut like traditional embroidery. Then the design is restitched and embellished. All on a treadly machine by kerosene lamp light! Wow!
    Best stitches,
    Mercy in very rainy Miami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercy, the tulip is very charming indeed and made me smile too! Love the embroidery, can't begin to imagine doing that on a treadle....or on a new machine either! Lovely. Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane
      I'm so happy you are enjoying the machine embroidery. I was blown away when my Mom's cousin brought the album over for me to see and I thought others would also love to see the samples.
      Best stitches,
      Mercy in Miami

      Delete
  4. Mercy, Glad to see you post again. You've been missed :) Your applique is so sweet. Regarding the machine embroidery - I wouldn't even have a clue how to start doing something like that. Absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I have missed you all too. I am feeling better than I have in a long time and have actually been stitching again almost every day for about 2 weeks.

      I will post more photos of the embroidery soon.

      Best stitches!
      Mercy in rainy (again) Miami

      Delete