Monday, August 13, 2012

Four Years in the Life of a Baltimore Style Album Quilt





Close-up of Ruched Rose Wreath.  Design and inking by Elly Sienkiewicz

First eight blocks in progress

As I was preparing my registration materials for the Elly Sienkiewizc Applique Academy over the weekend, I was inspired to put my in-progress Aqua Album blocks up on my design.  This project has been four years in the making and each block is a design from one of Elly's books.  Life has interrupted this quilt top's progress many times in those four years.  Fortunately, I was been able to overcame each challenge in turn and I never gave up on my favorite form of quilt making, needle turn applique.   When I as finally able to reacquaint myself with my Album-style blocks, the first thing I did was review each block and see what still needed to be done.  I was shocked to realize that of the eight blocks started, NONE are finished.  Plus I still have another 5 blocks to make to complete a 13-block setting.  I was struck as to how little I had accomplished in four years and how much still needed to be done.  And then I realized, I am in the middle of one of my all time favorite projects.   I am completely happy in the process and grateful each time I pick up my project and can stitch.  Some people are about the destination, but I, dear blog reader, am all about the journey.   I hope my photos motivate you to enjoy your journey and not give up on your passion, no matter what life throws at you.

I recommend the following sites to those of you that would like to learn more about Baltimore-style Album quilts (BAQs).

And of course, Elly's site
 

Pastoral Peacock (Design by Elly Sienkiewicz)
  



 

The Peacock's eye is embroidered.  Now I need to do the same to the leaves and the rose buds.  Definitely, need some rose moss here and there.

  

Grape Wreath is the block I am currently stitching (Design by Elly Sienkiewicz)


You can see I am Back Basting each grape with a little bit of batting in each one!






Ruched Rose Wreath is my most finished block.  Elly did all the ink work on the block for me in a class in 2010.  I still have to go over it to darken a few areas and then heat set it.
 

Bottom rose is ruched velvet ribbon.





Victorian Vase  (Design by Elly Sienkiewicz).  Missing all the flowers and the leaves.





Victorian Vase Rosebud.  I just love the polka dot batik fabric!
 






















Urn with Stuffed Roses  (Design by Elly Sienkiewicz)
 
Center, where pin is, is waiting for a vignette!



Rosebuds are crying for some moss.  This is a great spot to use fancy fabrics that you don't have to needle turn.





Woven Basket with Roses (Design by Elly Sienkiewicz)  that is missing the weaving on the basket front and the roses.  The rose buds are the bottom layer of reverse applique.  Notice I used hand-dyed velvet. 





Roses and Acorns

This block is not finished because I cannot decide how to make the flowers.  The pieces of ribbon are informally pinned on the block so that I can decide on color, texture, etc.

Until next time,

Best stitches,
Mercy in Miami



6 comments:

  1. Oh Mercy, Mercy. What lovelies you have created. Elly's designs are gorgeous but you make then stunning with your fabric choices! Love, love that peacock block. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nudge! Thanks for the kind words on colors. I really struggle with my choices because they are so far from the traditional BAQs. I'm happy you enjoy them.
      Best stitches,
      Mercy

      Delete
  2. The blocks are breathtaking! You have inspired me to get busy on something!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! It's great to hear from you!!! I'm working on a block of the Santa Maria ship right now trying to finish it by Columbus Day. I'm close so I may actually make it!

      Delete
  3. Hello! I can notice the fact that you really understand what you are writing about. Do you an education which is linked with the topic of the post? Can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Timothy,
      I am writing what I love about and only from my personal observation. I do have a Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts but I majored in Painting, not textile design or museum studies. I should preface all my blogs with "In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)" - LOL
      Best stitches,
      Mercy in Miami

      Delete