Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Won an Award!

Yesterday, when I got home and checked my email, I was very shocked to learn that I had won the Stylish Blogger Award! Susan Torrens from Ontario, Canada nominated me. Susan writes The Proficient Needle blog. Thank you Susan! You made my day.




Being the total nerd that I am, I had to research the award and learn as much about it as I could. Of course, there is no information to be found on the origin of the award but lots and lots of Google search hits of past winners. I was surprised that it's not exclusively a Quilting Blog award. Hmmm...Could this be the Blog-o-sphere version of a chain letter - but without the threat of bad luck! And, then I realized "No, it's simply a very nice way to share the blogs you enjoy with others!"



Just like winning a Nobel Prize or being crowned Miss America, the Stylish Blogger Award comes with certain responsibilities. First, you must add the Stylish Blogger Award logo to your site. Check!



Second, you reveal 7 things about yourself to your blog readers. This is tough because after 3 years of blogs I feel like there is nothing much left to say that I haven't already mentions at least twice. But, here goes....

1. As much as I love my dogs, Lucy, Ethel, and Thaddeus (RIP) I never wanted to have any pets. I am allergic to dander and suffer around birds, I grew up terrified of dogs, never cared for cats, and Prada was my idea of Reptile Rescue. Yes, when you grow up in Florida there is such a thing as Reptile Rescue. As a child, all I ever had were fish and as Archie Bunker used to say, "Goldfish are the best pet. They die before you get tired of them." Now, I can't imagine my life without my furry companions and a nice pair of designer pumps with matching handbag!

2. I am a terrible cook! I am a real foodie and I have a beautiful herb and vegetable garden. I give my tomatoes and peppers to my parents - this year's tomatoes are very sweet by the way, and use cuttings from the herbs to scent the kitchen. But, our meals are delivered to our door by a gourmet food service 4-5 days a week.

3. I design databases for a living. I have been an Information Technology professional for 27 years. For the last 17 years, I have specialized in database designs.

4. I love a good story! I read, listen, or watch anything as long as it has a plot and interesting characters. Highbrow, lowbrow, no brow isn't important. It's all about the story. My favorite contemporary writer is Michael Connelly. My favorite writer of all time is John Steinbeck. I can read Cannery Row once a week and always find something new. Right now, I'm reading Quilt As Desired (A Harriet Truman/Loose Threads Mystery) by Arlene Sachitano, Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly, and Fourth of July by James Patterson - love my Kindle. I am listening to The Bourne Identify on audio. In total, I read/re-read/listen/re-listen to about 40 books a year.

5. I inherited my mother's most famous family trait - I can't carry a tune unless it's in a bucket! My little brother suffers from this affliction also. As kids, we had to prepare pageants and songs during holiday time. I remember one year when the young seminarian that was filling in as the choir director had to separate my brother and me because if we sang together it would throw the organist off.

6. My formal education is in visual art. My degree is a Bachelor of Fine Arts - Painting. In graduate school, I majored in drawing. Yes, I build database for a living.

7. Superman is my favorite super hero. No one comes close. Before I met my husband, whenever I would meet a new man, one of the first things I asked them was "Who do you prefer, Superman or Spiderman?" If the guy answered Spiderman he never got a second date. When I asked my husband this question on our first date, his response was "Superman, no one else comes close." I knew right then this was the man I was going to marry!

Check, Check!!



Now for the last instruction...I must select seven blogs to nominate for this award. Without a doubt, these are my favorite blogs. Some are VERY famous so I'm sure you have read them many times, others are not as famous but the work is phenomenal and the content inspiring. Please enjoy!

1. Charlotte Angotti

2. Diane Gaudynski

3. Jeana Kimball

4. Sandra Leichner

5. Jane's Threads and Treasures

6. Miami Threads

7. Secret Sewing Sisterhood

Check, Check, Check!!!



Until next time...

Best stitches,

Mercy in Miami

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! And thanks for the link to Jeanna's blog - I had lost her link and thought she wasn't posting any longer. Sue, another Floridian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I love her work. I always credit her as the reason I appliqué today. Moreover, I don't think people remember that she was one of the driving forces behind the appliqué revival of a few years back that we still enjoy today.
    Best stitches,
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete