Friday, March 14, 2014

Extra Large Applique Shapes the Template Free Method

My Mom's front yard
Happy Friday everyone! 

Large basted shape - front
In honor of National Quilting Day tomorrow, March 15th, 2014, I would like to share one of my all time favorite tips for back basting very large applique shapes.

Large basted shape - back
Basically, the tip is that you baste the entire shape as usual.  Then, you snip a basting thread every 4 - 5 inches.  This relaxes the tension on the basting thread and allows the large applique shape fabric and the background to move and shrink together in your hand at the same rate as you needle turn.  Otherwise, as you needle turn you may notice that the background fabric shrinks a little more than the applique fabric as you stitch. 
 
I use my hand to gauge where to clip to relax the basting
close up of where I have clipped the basting stitches
Best stitches!  And, Happy National Quilting Day!!
Mercy in Miami






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, Mercy. I 'll give it a try. Happy Quilting Today! I'm doing applique today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tip! Thanks, Mercy :)

    ReplyDelete